IMPRS students are encouraged to formulate innovative and exciting research projects and to consider multiple approaches to their research question. To enable this, they have access to the specialized technological platforms, state-of-the-art facilities and specific methodological expertise supplied across the participating institutes. Of course, each individual group within the IMPRS is very well equipped and provides an excellent home base for PhD research.
Specialized facilities include:
- Genome Center (MPI): This facility is equipped with two Illumina next generation sequencing instruments, along with ABI capillary sequencing and Affymetrix microarray platforms
- Proteome Center (PCT, at IFIZ): The Proteome Center is equipped with two high accuracy LTQ-Orbitrap mass spectrometers and provides comprehensive proteomic support to research groups both at the University and at the MPI
- NMR spectroscopy facility (MPI): This platform is equipped with a 600 and a 800MHz spectrometers (MPI) and will provide extensive training and experimental support to IMPRS students
- X-ray crystallography (MPI, IFIB): Both the MPI and the University of Tübingen have made significant investments for enhanced competence in X-ray crystallography and share the infrastructure (crystallization robot, MPI; X-ray generator, IFIB)
- High-performance computing facilities (ZBIT, MPI): large computer clusters with a total of 2000 CPU cores and hundreds of TB of storage
- Light microscopy including deconvolution and advanced confocal laser microscopy (IFIB, IFIZ, ZMBP, MPI, FML)
- Advanced microscopy techniques including fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, atomic force microscopy and single particle tracking (IFIB); single molecule fluorescence imaging and use of high-resolution optical tweezers (ZMBP).
- Scanning and transmission electron microscopy facilities (MPI)
- Light, temperature and humidity controlled plant growth facilities (ZMBP, MPI)
- Animal facilities such as for antibody production (IFIZ, IFIB, MPI) and mouse and fish transgenics (IFIZ, MPI)
- Flow cytometry facilities (ZMBP)
- IT support: access to the internet and email, and installation of basic and specific software in personal computers